Earlier this week I received a lovely little notification telling me that I’ve been nominated for ‘The Liebster Award’. I’ve seen a few other bloggers posting about the nominations they’ve received similar to this one and honestly I’m quite honoured to have received one.
Their purpose of awards like these is absolutely great. It gets people involved in the community and gives you that little bump you need to remind you that people are actually reading what you’ve created and enjoy it. Dragging the unknown bloggers into the light, getting them recognised and connected them with like minded souls. If I’m honest I don’t think I’ve truly earned this nomination. I just hope that as I keep posting and my body of work gets larger I prove I’m worthwhile of this nomination.
I’ve still not figured out exactly what I’m doing here. I’ve always written, always had stories and poetry rattling around my head but I’ve never shared with a community. I really enjoy coming to WordPress, it’s now my number one place to visit. The great writing that exists here inspires me to be a better writer and better person. I love talking with all you wonderful people here about my own work and commenting on the great pieces I read. I feel this could be a good home for me to rebuild myself. The exact purpose of what I want to do with the blog is still a little fuzzy but it feels great to write with much more consistency and have it available to be read. I do have a few plans, some little projects I’m working on and after some recent inspiration I may be toying around with recording some reading. The dulcet tones of an eccentric Scotsman might interest, excite or scare you wonderful readers but it’s all about personal growth For now it’s just the ramblings of a madman and if there’s anyone out there that enjoys it then I’ll be here to entertain.
Back to this award and I’d like to say a massive thank you to rakhioverhere for nominating me. For someone to actually go out of their way to read my nonsense and include me in one of these awards is quite the honour. If you haven’t ever visited rakhioverhere I would highly recommend it! There’s always something great to read whether its the really beautiful poetry or the powerful inspiring messages in the words. I really cant urge everyone enough to go have a look and enjoy the wonders that are there!
There are however a few rules in accepting this nomination
So if everyone is ready, get set for some long rambling facts and answers to some great questions. You’ve been warned.
Eleven Facts About Me (Brace Yourself)
- My name is Cameron D Hamilton. The ‘D’ stands for Donald and I’m named for my Grandpa. He had four girls and not only was I his first grandchild, I was the first boy so naturally I ended up named for him.
- I was born on a ‘Black Friday’, Friday the Thirteen. Depending on who you ask its good or bad luck. I like to think good luck, maybe I’m more optimist than I think.
- I was born, raised and still live the wonderful wet and windy country of Scotland. Follow up answer, no I won’t tell you what I’m wearing under my kilt. I will show you if you catch me in the right mood! ;P
- I studied media for a great many years, planned on working in film or tv as a director. I fell for writing instead while I was there. Didn’t do me much good career wise but I am currently working in corporate social media which lets me strut my creative stuff.
- I am simply put a geek. I don’t consider myself a fanboy but I do follow a few fandoms. Top of my list shall always be Star Wars. There is a lightsaber mounted on my wall, ‘nuff said!
- I love fedoras. If you’ve seen my post <<me my hat and I>> you’ll know I have a long standing relationship with hats and my most loved is a fedora. I wear one everyday I’m out in the world. They’re almost a security blanket at this point. Plus they look cool!
- At the start of this year I went on a health kick. I gave up alcohol on 2nd January and added/refined sugar on 1st There’s no special reason behind this, I just feel my age creeping up on me and figured I should try and not kill myself.
- I’m a fan of Major League Baseball. I discovered it during a bout of insomnia in 2008. Games would start at 1am GMT and would help me unwind and settle. Been following ever since.
- I’m a hopeless romantic (I’m sure you can tell that from my previous posts). Terrible luck with romantics though, just horrible!
- I enjoy giving pineapples as presents. I stole the idea from the TV show ‘Psych’. I torment my younger sister on her birthday and at Christmas by wrapping a massive box stuffing it with newspaper and putting a pineapple at the bottom. Last year I changed things up and put the pineapple in a small box and wrapped the massive box that was filled with actual presents in pineapple themed wrapping paper. She doesn’t like me very much!
- I am fundamental broken. Being here has saved me. Finding like minded people, being able to chat in comments and have people react to my work has started a process of repair that is long overdue. The fact is every single person who interacts with me here saves me. If I come across as intense or overdramatic its just my passion that I’ve found a place I can be myself and a group of people who encourage and inspire me. I’m a man with few friends and I’d like to make some here
Eleven Questions From rakhioverhere
What is your favorite music?
I honestly don’t listen to music any more. I have a strange relationship with music, I would listen to certain music and it would bring back bad memories. I started listening to podcasts and music has fallen away from my life. The stuff I listen to is mostly Classic Rock, ‘Queen’, ‘Thin Lizzy’ and ‘Fleetwood Mac’ to name a few.
Which book are you reading now a days?
After listening to the James Bonding Podcast I recently picked up all fourteen of Ian Fleming 007 novels. I’ve only just started the first book Casino Royale and I’m really enjoying this new perspective, especially since I’ve been a Bond fan since I was a child.
What is your inspiration for writing?
I’ll have to answer this in two parts. My poetry is real life. Heartache, comments on the world around me, my own introspective thoughts. The world around me flows into what I choose to write poems on. Sometimes it’s a feeling, sometimes it’s a conversation but there’s always truth. Sometimes exaggerated but still truth.
My fiction is inspired by insanity. I have an overactive imagination and I tend to fall down a lot of rabbit holes. I’ll say or think something stupid and then expand on it. The short story that made up my first ever posts on here was an Easter story about rabbits at war. All I had was a holiday theme and my raging insanity. Have a read at the prologue and I’m sure you’d agree
Which country you have always dreamed to visit?
Being a baseball fan I’ve always dreamed of doing a baseball road trip over the United States. Jump through some of the major cities catch a game and explore the world that’s there. I would love to meet new people share stories and then it’s off to the next place for a new adventure.
Name 3 things you can’t live without.
- My fedora
- My imagination
- The internet (apparently it’s the only place that actually accepts me)
What is best quality in your personality?
I honestly don’t know how to answer this. I want to say my hope. I never want to give up and always find the littlest bit of hope to cling to. This however is also dangerous. Honestly my personality is eccentric and I don’t often know if it goes over well. I’m not sure I have a best quality and if I do, I’ve forgotten what it is
Do you believe in love at first sight?
Yes! With every fibre of my being yes! It’s not done me any good but I believe it!
What’s your favorite movie?
Ever since university my answer has always been the same. LA Confidential. I wont be changing my answer now.
What’s your most loving hobby other than writing?
Now this is a hard one. I used to be a gamer. I guess I still am but I’m in such a heavy writing phase it’s fallen away a bit. I’d say arts and crafts. Yes thats very generic but I like to create tangible things. I’m going to be posting about some of my previous projects soon so maybe you can get an idea from that.
What scares you the most?
Biggest fear is falling from height. Not heights them self, the falling. What scare me the most is definitely myself. I’m a dangerous person to be left alone with.
I really hope I havnt rambled on too much. Congratulations to everyone that lasted their way through this. Now it’s onto my nominations. I’ve taken some time and picked out some bloggers who I feel really need some light shone on them. They’re all excellent blogs and if you don’t already follow please do.
I hope you five get involved in this. I’ve had a lot of fun doing mine and I really look forward to getting an insight into you. The eleven questions I’ve chosen are;
- What inspired you to start blogging?
- What’s your idea of a perfect first date?
- If you could live anywhere where would it be?
- Nightowl or Day hawk?
- When you were younger what did you want to be when you grew up?
- Do you prefer long or short hair? (on yourself and on your love interest?)
- What’s your favourite Summer Holiday memory?
- What’s the movie you’ve watched the most?
- What’s your guilty pleasure food?
- Jedi or Sith? Do you consider yourself a paragon of light or a renegade in the dark?
- What is your biggest pet peeve (the answer better not be me!)
Thank you all for giving this a read. I hope this has given everyone a little insight into my demented head. If you’d like to ask any follow up feel free to comment here or you can get me via email email@example.com.
Now it’s back to my regularly scheduled poetic madness. I can’t promise that great things are coming; only that more is on its way and I hope that this little spotlight will introduce more people to my ramblings.
Thanks for reading, following, liking and being generally awesome people!!!
Cameron D Hamilton